September 15, 2006

Finding purpose in the tough stuff

What is the worst thing that has ever happened? The world wars? 9/11? Earthquakes? Tsunamis? Personal illness? The loss of a child? A divorce?

When bad things happen I sometimes forget that God can use everything for good. Acts 2:22ff reminds me that He allows or even plans what seems like a calamity. Peter is talking to the crowds in Jerusalem and says, “Jesus of Nazareth was a man accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among you through him, as you yourselves know. This man was handed over to you by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge; and you, with the help of wicked men, put him to death by nailing him to the cross. But God raised him from the dead, freeing him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on him.”

Jesus was handed over by God’s set purpose and foreknowledge! God knew Jesus would be crucified, but not only that, it was His purpose that this horrible thing happened. He knew that the world was lost in sin. He knew that the only way to redeem mankind was by the death of a perfect sacrifice, One who became our substitute and paid the penalty of sin for us. The worst that man could do to Jesus, God used as the best thing He could do for us.

When bad things happen to me, I need reminding that God can use those for good also. In Romans 8:28-29, He promised to do so, at least for those who love Him. The ‘good’ He has in mind is to transform us into the image of His Son, and He can use anything, even bad things toward that goal.

The old question pops up: “Why to bad things happen to good people?” I suppose it could be answered from several angles. Some would say as Jesus did, that there is no one good but God. Others might says we live in a sinful world and not all things that happen to us are related to what we do or don’t do. Others might argue that God is sovereign and He has a reason for allowing whatever happens to us.

Whatever the full answer might be, I know I am not a victim of random events. If He can use something for good in my life, then it will happen. If He has no purpose for it, I can count on Him to be my fortress and shield.

2 comments:

Cornerstone said...

Another great essay!

I will keep this in mind when I feel discouraged!
Lisa

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi Lisa, You are in a tough situation too, and I am praying for you.
Elsie