September 18, 2006

Disagreements are a freedom

Our three children and two grandchildren were here for dinner yesterday. After a feast of Mexican food, they had a rather lively discussion about drug use and the legal system in our country. While they didn’t agree on every detail, it pleased me to hear their strong views on the importance of justice. Except one of them. She was opposed to almost everything everyone else said. While the others didn’t agree with her, they at least listened and allowed her to express her opinions.

This morning’s Bible reading from Acts 28 reflects that attitude. Paul had been arrested in Jerusalem because the Jews there did not like what he was preaching. He appealed to the Roman authorities as a Roman citizen and they listened to his request. His case was sent to Rome. After arriving, he called the Jewish leaders to hear him.

“Men and brethren, though I have done nothing against our people or the customs of our fathers, yet I was delivered as a prisoner from Jerusalem into the hands of the Romans, who, when they had examined me, wanted to let me go, because there was no cause for putting me to death. But when the Jews spoke against it, I was compelled to appeal to Caesar, not that I had anything of which to accuse my nation. For this reason therefore I have called for you, to see you and speak with you, because for the hope of Israel I am bound with this chain.”

These men didn’t know what he was talking about, but they were interested in Christianity. They had heard rumors, all not good, and wanted first hand information. Paul obliged. “Many came to him at his lodging, to whom he explained and solemnly testified of the kingdom of God, persuading them concerning Jesus from both the Law of Moses and the Prophets, from morning till evening.”

What I find interesting is that this passage adds, “Some were persuaded by the things which were spoken, and some disbelieved.”

In a discussion like the one yesterday in my kitchen, I’d like to have seen total agreement. In a presentation of the gospel like the one 2000 years ago in the city of Rome, I’d like total agreement too. But people do not always see eye to eye. When they don’t, the next best option is that they can still openly express their views and be free to agree or disagree with the views of others.

Our family also discussed the restrictions and problems of living in other places where the general population is exploited by a few, and how oppressive governments ruin lives. While we didn’t bring up another important point, I’m thinking this morning how ancient Rome and our country have one precious value in common: free expression. Our discussion yesterday may not change the way the world is run, but we are blessed to be able to state our position without fear, and blessed to be able to agree or disagree with one another.

Christians can freely share our faith too, at least here and for now. It is not true in every place. The discussion yesterday and this reading today remind me how important to never take our freedom for granted, but also to use that freedom while it is still ours to use.

No comments: