August 10, 2006

Who will rule the world?

Today’s headlines: Terrorists plot to blow up airplanes. One country sets as its goal to destroy another country. The free world fights for democracy in several parts of the not so free world. People protest, but nothing changes. On either side there is that strong desire to take power, to rule the world.

I asked my husband this morning if he thought we could ever be free from the threat of terrorism, if they would eventually be stopped or all captured and disabled. He said, “No, not until Jesus comes.”

My reading today is about the title deed to the earth and who will eventually hold that title. “And I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne a scroll written inside and on the back, sealed with seven seals. Then I saw a strong angel proclaiming with a loud voice, ‘Who is worthy to open the scroll and to loose its seals?’ And no one in heaven or on the earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll, or to look at it. So I wept much, because no one was found worthy to open and read the scroll, or to look at it. But one of the elders said to me, ‘Do not weep. Behold, the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has prevailed to open the scroll and to loose its seven seals.’” (Revelation 5:1-5, NKJV)

The only one worthy to open, read, look at and eventually claim the title deed to the earth is this one identified as the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David. Both titles belong to Jesus Christ. He alone is worthy because only Jesus can rule the earth in equity and with justice. How do I know that? By reading about Him, by knowing Him. He is fair, just, cares about doing good, stands firm against evil, and has the power to do right.

Appalled and often weeping at the fighting in the Middle East, the horrors in the Congo and other parts of the world, and today’s news, I struggle to be hopeful that human beings can do something to stop the evil that so violently expresses itself. This passage from Revelation implies that this will not happen. No person is worthy to hold the title deed to the earth. Only Jesus.

A line from an old hymn comes to mind; “And Lord haste the day when the faith shall be sight.” Even far from the front lines and feeling safe in my home, I long for an end to the horror and bloodshed. I just want it to stop. While I know many people are not yet ready for the return of Christ, in my heart I’m starting to think, “Even so, come, Lord Jesus.”

No comments: