August 28, 2006

Today's To-Do List

Some days I would like a formula for success, a list of steps to follow that would guarantee at least a good day if not a spectacular one. I’ve had so many challenges in the past week and as usual, have no idea what this week will hold. Dare I ask God to show me a plan to follow?

Actually, I tried that this morning and to my surprise, the reading for today from Acts 2:42-47 does look like a formula for success.

“And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Then fear came upon every soul, and many wonders and signs were done through the apostles. Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.”


These early Christians did a few things and God blessed them with joy, popularity, and increased their numbers. Can some of this apply to my complicated life?

• Devote myself to God’s Word (the apostles’ doctrine), which includes reading it and doing what it says. A favorite Old Testament verse is Joshua 1:8, “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” Elsie, spend time in the Bible and obey it.

• Fellowship with other believers. Some think fellowship is coffee and cookies in the church gymnasium, but the word goes far beyond snacks and chats. It means to deeply participate and share the person and characteristics of Jesus Christ with one another. Whatever He is like, we share that in true fellowship, enriching one another’s lives and producing a sense of well-being and deepened faith. I need to fellowship with other Christians.

• Breaking of bread refers to communion, a ritual to remind us of what Jesus has done. When I stand at the foot of the cross, Jesus produces at least two things in my heart: humility because of my role in His suffering, and worship for what He did on my behalf. I need to remember my Savior.

• Prayer is simply communication with God, not just talking, certainly not just presenting my list of I-wants, but listening for His encouragement and instruction. I need to pray all the time.

• Sharing what I have with others. Greed and selfishness show up in my attitude toward my possessions. God blesses me when I’m willing to share them. He proves that He will meet my needs. In fact, last week I decided to send financial support to a friend who is involved in overseas mission work. The day after I made the decision, someone asked me to edit their manuscript and agreed to a fee that will more than cover my donation. No one can out-give God.

• Gladness and simplicity of heart. Just thinking about these things makes me glad. This list is so simple, and in the complications of life, simple is not only refreshing but I crave it. If nothing else, reviewing the basics for success lifts those anxious “what if?” thoughts from my mind. God is not asking me to tackle the problems of the world. Those are His. He only wants a few things from me, and as I focus on them, He will take care of all that other stuff.

No comments: