August 9, 2006

The surprises are yet to come

I spoke too hastily yesterday about rewards. Today’s reading offered another selection for those who “overcome.” First, I checked to see who are the ones who overcome? This term is used by John (who wrote Revelation) in another place: “Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?” So anyone who believes in Jesus overcomes, and that happens by faith, not their ability to “fight the good fight.”

Those who overcome (all believers) will receive rewards. The list for today reads: “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels. . . . He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name. . . . To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne” (Revelation 3:5, 12, 21, NKJV).

Much of the language in Revelation is symbolic. The symbols are explained elsewhere in Scripture. For instance, being “clothed in white garments” refers to having sins forgiven and covered by the righteousness of Christ. This is a great reward, and not for how we live here but for believing that Jesus is the Son of God.

Another reward for faith is eternal life. Jesus confesses my name before the Father and my name is secured in the Book of Life. A pillar speaks of security in the place where God dwells. I will remain there forever in His presence.

In the Bible, names signify character. The name of God is rich, yet here on earth we cannot truly fathom His greatness. When I enter heaven I will be given far greater understanding of who He is, and because of that God will be known to me by a new name, one that fully describes His character. Wonder of wonders, that new name also will be given to me—and as I said yesterday, I will be like Him, but until then, I have a limited idea of what that means.

Verse 21 says I will also rule with Him. Instead of a power-trip, that thought is deeply humbling. Of all the rewards, this seems the most unimaginable. In my life now I am so aware of being powerless. I cannot manage my own life never mind rule over a universe. It is not a surprise that God says, “Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

No comments: