August 2, 2006

See what God sees

During my aunt’s funeral yesterday several family members remarked that this particular memorial gardens too often was our place for a family reunion. Of my father’s family, his parents and all six children and their spouses (except one who is still alive) are buried there.
But it is good to reconnect with family. I also talked with schoolmates I’ve not seen since graduation, and one cousin (who never makes it to our normal reunions) I’d not seen for many years.

I told a couple of my cousins that they were on my prayer list. One was delighted. He said, “That must be the reason things are going so well for me.” However, fear came into the other cousin’s eyes. He said, “I’m not sure that’s a good thing.” I told him that all good things come from God, but he didn’t seem convinced. Later I found out that he is into a new relationship after leaving his first wife and teenaged children. Was he afraid of God because of guilt?

Most of my family were not brought up in the church or with any direction concerning God. I suppose some of them have misconceptions. Others might have been told God watches over them or that when they did something bad, God would “get them” for it. As I recall the look on my cousin’s face, I wonder if he believed that God was not on his side.

Today’s verses: “For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account” (Hebrews 4:12-13, NKJV).

The last part of this says that God not only sees everything we do, but we must give account for all of it. That possibility strikes fear into the hearts of those who know they have done something wrong. They don’t want to face the judgment of God.

Yet there are countless people who think “I’m fine. I live a good life.” Others might be unsure and wonder if they are “good enough” for heaven. The first part of this passage explains how to find out where we stand: read the Bible!

Scripture is not like other books. It has an ability to speak to us, show us things about God and ourselves that we would not otherwise know. Like a sword it digs in there and exposes the soul, revealing our very thoughts and attitudes. In it we see ourselves as we really are, not as we imagine or hope we are, but as God sees us.

For those who fear judgment, this is frightening. This fear and an overwhelming sense of guilt drives them as far from the Bible, talk of God, church, or anything remotely religious as they can get. They do not want prayer either, as they attempt to avoid God’s scrutiny.

Yet those who know the forgiveness of God are not afraid. They know that all good things come from Him, that He can make their lives go well, and that He loves them with an everlasting love.

I’ll still pray for those two cousins, and for the rest of my family. Some of them know that God cares for them. Some are apathetic. A few are terrified of Him. May God reveal Himself so that they know not only themselves, but His great mercy and the forgiveness He offers them through faith in His Son.

No comments: