August 29, 2006

He is the Vine, I am a branch...

When I first started this blog, I had no problem with ‘telling all’ but now realize how much of my walk with God includes family and friends who likely don’t want any details of their lives (negative or positive) made open to the world. That must be respected. I can say that my husband is doing well, no symptoms yet, but he is having trouble getting enough rest. We are both adjusting to our granddaughter living here, and enjoying her. At the same time, we want to help her and half the time have no idea what is the best way to do that. Prayers are appreciated.

Some of my struggles involve sorting truth from suggestions by the Liar. Even though this is a huge battle and sometimes very intense, I’m incredibly thankful that God knows how to keep me on track, or put me back when I slip off. Much is at stake.

God says today, “But you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you know all things. I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and that no lie is of the truth. Who is a liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist who denies the Father and the Son. Whoever denies the Son does not have the Father either; he who acknowledges the Son has the Father also. . . . These things I have written to you concerning those who try to deceive you. But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him” (1 John 2:20-27).

Even though Christians have the Holy Spirit to nudge us in the right direction, we can be deceived if we neglect the Bible and prayer. Prayer is my lifeline to the Spirit and to the Father who speaks to me—even as I speak to Him. He has an incredible way of putting truth into my head so that I just know it is from Him. At the same time, the Bible is my black and white evidence of the truth—truth that kicks out the grey and murky lies Satan drops in to confuse and send me in wrong directions.

These days, the Liar is going at me with great energy, exposing both weaknesses and strengths. I’m finding out areas of my life that need work, but also constantly aware that the joy of the Lord truly is my strength. When I’m clear and in tune with God, nothing upsets or annoys me. But if I’ve somehow dropped out, either by trusting myself, or believing a lie, or doing something against His will, then I’m irritable and easily angered. The line between abiding in Him or not abiding is extremely clear. That is a good thing.

Yesterday I wrote also about the value of fellowship. Soon after that I met a woman whose book I will be editing and we experienced fellowship. It was a shot of adrenalin, a boost to my spiritual life that blessed me the rest of the day.

I also thought about the cross and spent a good time thanking Jesus for dying for me, for taking my punishment for sin and setting me free from its power. As I blessed Him, He blessed me.

Without remembering until now, I also did as the Bible instructs about being generous. It felt good to share what I have with someone else, because God designed us to take pleasure in obeying Him.

The truth actually lives in those who know Jesus. Living by truth is a delight, and when I do, it seems so easy. Yet Jesus knows I will have trouble. That’s why He reminds me to persevere. Keep trusting. Remember what I know. Abide in Him.

No comments: