July 29, 2006

When will Jesus return?

Those interested in Bible prophecy vary in opinion about the role of Israel. Some believe that this nation will be highly involved toward the end—when Jesus returns and God judges the earth. Since some of that prophecy seems to pit most of the world’s armies against this small country, the events of these days are looked on with great interest. Is this latest conflict an indication that Jesus will soon return?

A contemporary Christian song has the line, “Jesus, the hope of the nations . . .” indicating how believers have looked for His return as the answer to the world’s woes. Others say, since we have no idea when Jesus will come back, we must not sit around waiting, but do something about the evils in the world, be proactive, have strategies for reform.

What is God’s take on this? Today’s reading says, “But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as others do, but let us watch and be sober. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him” (1 Thessalonians 5:8, NKJV).

It’s clear that we might not know the day and the hour, but because we believe His promise and know in our hearts that He will return, we are not going to be caught off guard like those who think this is nonsense. We may foolishly speculate on “when” but never wonder “if.”

We don’t sit around waiting though. We are supposed to pay attention, be focused, find out what God wants. After all, faith makes demands and if I believe what He says, then I have to act accordingly. The Bible is filled with directions about action.

Love also makes demands. Christian love puts the needs of others at the top of my priority list. It means dropping my wants and doing whatever God asks—anything from leaving a comfortable bed at 5 a.m. to rescue someone stranded on the highway, to spending an afternoon consoling a hurting neighbor instead of enjoying my garden. The Bible is filled with directions about love in action.

This week I talked to someone who thinks that if he does enough good things, then God will be pleased with him. His ‘good works’ are intended to earn his salvation, and he is afraid of falling short. But the bottom line in this passage is that Christians are not driven by fear of falling short. Our hope is certain. It is based, not on what we do, but on the promises of God and the loving sacrifice of His Son. Jesus died so that we can live with Him forever. That hope protects me from thinking I must do something or God will punish me. Instead, I know that Jesus has rescued me from the wrath of God. Because I am assured of salvation, I’m free to act in faith and love with no selfish motives.

This war in the Middle East could be the beginning of the end, but maybe not. History is filled with similar conflicts. Instead of being driving by “Oh my, the day of judgment is right around the corner,” I’m thinking “How can I express faith and love—and the hope that God has given me?”

One thing is certain, I don’t have to go very far to find opportunities to do that!

1 comment:

Cornerstone said...

Yes, Elsie, I agree... each day we should ask God to use us to spread His love and faith in Him...what a way to add meaning to our day! We would never look back at the end of the day and wonder what we had accomplished!
Lisa