July 18, 2006

When push comes to shove

“‘Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers.’ But he replied, ‘Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death.’ Jesus answered, ‘I tell you, Peter, before the rooster crows today, you will deny three times that you know me’” (Luke 22:31, NKJV)

At this point in his life, Simon (Peter) was so sure of his faith that he was prepared to die for Jesus. He did not realize that when push came to shove, he would deny Him three times.

My Bible says that the ‘you’ in Jesus’ warning is plural. That means that Satan asked permission from God to ‘sift’ all the disciples, perhaps even all believers, not just Simon Peter.

The idea of being sifted is vivid imagery. Like a flour sifter, events of life shake out whatever is undesirable and leave only the ‘good stuff’ behind. Even though the result is important (but not what Satan has in mind), being sifted is an unpleasant experience.

I see three things in this. First, Satan needs permission to have a go at me. He had to ask if he could do this to Simon and other disciples. So God allows ‘sifting’ only when He has reasons for it. Satan might hand me a good shake-up, but God allows it to refine my faith.

Second, Peter was too sure of himself; his faith was sufficient. He had no idea what he would go through and how much faith he would need. Neither do I. I trust God right now, today, but what about tomorrow? What trials will come? What kind of sifting? I’ve no clue what God might ask of me or allow to happen to me. Just like Simon Peter, I can be over-confident and not realize my confidence is more in my faith rather than in my God.

However, Jesus prayed for Simon. The Bible says He also prays for me. I will fail like Simon did (or in other ways), but He will pick me up and help me to trust Him anyway. My faith is not so much about my faith, but about the One in whom it is placed.

Even failing to believe can be a way God can use me—to show others that failure is not the end. He will not abandon me or any of His children just because we mess up. He will keep me, not because I am strong, but because He (not me) is my Savior.

No comments: