July 28, 2006

The real war

My phone rang five times this morning before 8 a.m. and twice afterward. All were “unknown” callers, and those I answered were obviously fax phones. If I didn’t answer, my voice mail kicked in and they left one long beep in my message box. Invasion of spam in e-mail is bad enough. For several weeks my telephone has being invaded.

I’ve tried everything. I’ve answered the phone and told the caller to take our number off their list. Doesn’t work. I’ve checked call display and not answered the phone hoping they would give up. Doesn’t work. I’ve picked up the phone and immediately hung up. Doesn’t work. These people are relentless. They want your soul.

So today I’m thinking what would Jesus do. Don’t laugh. No phones then; it’s hard to say. So how about what response does He want from me? How can I “be like Jesus” when being harassed by telemarketers?

The Bible says, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.”

Since God is in charge of all that happens, and since the enemy is not people, even telemarketers, but evil forces that threaten me in some way, exactly what am I fighting? If it isn’t them, what is the threat?

Could it be that this battle is spiritual? That those principalities and powers are trying to spoil my communion with God? I’ve had some intense times of prayer this week for some intense problems. Could it be that the enemy is hoping to stop me by getting me annoyed to the point that I will not, or cannot, pray?

Right now, the ringing phone is stirring up impatience and a desire to be in control. But patient endurance is a choice. Just leave the phone alone. When the calls come, ignore them. At the end of the day, go into voice mail and delete them all at once. I don’t have to deal with every call every time and just get steamed.

The rest of the above passages says, “Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints . . . .“ (Ephesians 6:10-18, NKJV).

The key to battling evil is “praying always . . . .” which verifies that the real war is not with the stupid phone, or whoever is at the other end trying to make minimum wage, but with the powers of destruction that are deeply involved in the lives of those on my prayer list.

Enough said. I’ve a sword to wield.

No comments: