July 4, 2006

Old fears vs. timeless promises

“Because with lies you have made the heart of the righteous sad, whom I have not made sad; and you have strengthened the hands of the wicked, so that he does not turn from his wicked way to save his life. Therefore you shall no longer envision futility nor practice divination; for I will deliver My people out of your hand, and you shall know that I am the Lord.” (Ezekiel 13:18, NKJV)

God speaks to false prophets who, for their own gain, tell lies to His people. These lies empower evil and bring sorrow that is not from God. He promises to deliver His people from these lies and stop the false prophets. With His actions, they will know who is boss.

I had a bad dream last night. This morning I woke up feeling great sorrow. The dream was based on an old fear that God has helped me overcome by trusting Him. However, it seemed as if the liar, Satan, was whispering in my ear and trying to make me afraid again. He gained some ground. Even though it was a dream, the knot in my stomach is very real.

The New Testament says that God will not allow a temptation without making a way of escape so I can bear it. Past experience with this fear says my escape is focusing on the Lord Himself and His power, trusting Him to take care of me. The thing that I dreamed and anything else that I fear is within the sphere of His sovereignty.

My head knows that, even my heart knows that. However, my stomach still needs to be convinced.

No comments: