July 11, 2006

My most valuable possession

“But I will defend my house against marauding forces. Never again will an oppressor overrun my people, for now I am keeping watch. Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your king comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey. I will take away the chariots from Ephraim and the war-horses from Jerusalem, and the battle bow will be broken. He will proclaim peace to the nations. His rule will extend from sea to sea and from the River to the ends of the earth.” (Zechariah 9:8-10, NKJV)

In the middle of a passage prophesying doom to their enemies and victory to Israel, God speaks of an army led by a pagan king who will protect them. Then He speaks of another King who will come, one who is “righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey, on a colt, the foal of a donkey.”

This King’s coming is in two stages, unclear here but borne out by history. Jesus came the first time as a gentle Savior riding on the foal of a donkey. At that time, He brought spiritual salvation by dying for the sin of the world. When He comes again, He will bring first judgment, then peace to the nations, and He will rule over all the earth.

This and other passages confused many Israelites into thinking that when their King came, He would deliver them from their political and physical enemies. Spiritual salvation was not an issue for them. So when Jesus came to save from sin, they rejected Him as their King.

While the believing Gentiles in the world might condemn them for wanting a physical deliverer, are we any different? In most prayer meetings, what do Christians ask for? We want good jobs, health, happy lives, no problems. Rarely does someone give a request asking deliverance from a persistent temptation or strength to overcome a troubling sin. Those problems exist but most of us are interested only in being comfortable and enjoying this life without physical pain or troubling problems.

I’m not against comfort; neither is God, but if I’ve learned He can use discomfort to get my attention, draw me closer to Himself, make me realized I’ve a sin that needs attention, or bring out a Christ-like quality that would not show up if life was without pain. His priority is glory to Christ and to change me into someone that reflects that glory.

So I can’t condemn the Jews for wanting a King who would get rid of their physical oppressors and make their lives comfortable. Sadly, they did the same thing most of us do; they neglected their spiritual condition in favor of physical comfort.

Another reality most of us miss is the importance of a spiritual priority. If my heart is right before God and I am following Him, He takes care of the “oppressors” and removes the “battle bow” so that my life is filled with peace. This peace totally overwhelms all else, even pain, deep sorrow, and stormy situations. It is a peace that is beyond comprehension, making no sense in the light of what is happening around me.

Jesus said, “My peace I give you, not as the world gives . . . .” The world’s peace is freedom from pain and strife. This King offers peace even in the middle of pain and strife—and I would not trade His peace for the world!

No comments: