July 17, 2006

Is Jesus coming soon?

“(Jesus) replied: ‘Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, “I am he,” and, “The time is near.” Do not follow them. When you hear of wars and revolutions, do not be frightened. These things must happen first, but the end will not come right away . . . Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. . . . When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near’” (Luke 21:8, NKJV).

Christians are not sure how to react when Israel is at war. Does it mean that Jesus will come soon? Or is this just one more war in the cycle of violence between ancient enemies? One thing is certain; Jesus said no one will know the day or the hour. Speculation is futile. Those who set dates and affirm ‘this is the day’ might be the deceivers Jesus mentions here.

So how do I live while waiting for His promise to return? Do I watch for signs? Perfect my theology on this topic? Read all the books and have an opinion?

In some ways this is like my husband’s medical diagnosis. He has CLL, a chronic form of leukemia and, apart from a cure being found or a miracle cure, is fatal. He does not know when he will die. Although a series of blood tests over the next year might give some clues, he says, “I could be hit by a truck next week.”

So how do we live while waiting for death? Not wanting to be a gloom-and-doom person, it is true that everyone is in the same boat. As Bob often says, we are all terminal. How do we live with full recognition that life has an end, and like the Second Coming, we have no idea when it will happen, only a few clues?

There are several options concerning this CLL thing. Carry on as if nothing is going to happen? Forget all our responsibilities and do everything we ever wanted to do? Bite our fingernails in fearful anticipation? Go on a crusade to warn everyone to “turn or burn”? Seek out every possible remedy, quack or otherwise, and fight this thing? Be ‘super-spiritual’ and simply praise the Lord that he will soon be with Jesus?

I can’t make decisions for my husband, but for me, his medical situation warrants the same response as anticipation of Jesus’ return. I’m supposed to live as the Lord’s servant every day, listen for His direction, seek His will, drop all that is worldly or sinful and stay focused on following the Lord and faithfully obey Him in all areas of my life. If anything needs to change, I can trust Him to guide me in other directions.

My conclusion about the war in Israel and the battle with CLL is that life with Christ continues as always; it’s a daily adventure— and I don’t call the shots, He does!

No comments: