July 5, 2006

Heat becomes hugs

“As silver is melted in the midst of a furnace, so shall you be melted in its midst; then you shall know that I, the Lord, have poured out My fury on you.” (Ezekiel 22:22, NKJV)

God is angry with Israel and tells them He will melt them like silver in a furnace. But God is the only one who can give a hug and a swift kick at the same time.

The last time we needed moving cartons, my husband told me to first call a certain business, then pick some up. I hate phoning stores, but did it. The man on the phone sounded ‘icky’ and I could hardly understand him. When I arrived at his door, his appearance was also a turn-off. I was already grouchy. He put the boxes in the back of my vehicle. On the inside and out, I was complaining about moving. He overheard me. As he shut my car door he said, “May the Lord bless your day and your move.”

Instantly I felt God’s rebuke and His ‘hug’ and as I confessed and repented, I also laughed out loud.

When silver is put in a furnace, it does melt, but as it melts the impurities float to the top and are skimmed off by the silversmith. As the heat rises, the dross continues to rise. The craftsman knows the silver is pure when he can see his own reflection in the surface.

Israel would feel the heat, but God’s furnace was not fired to destroy them. God wanted to refine them. His rebuke was also His hug. Only God can do that!

Note from yesterday. Five minutes of praise and worship untied my knots. God is good. My husband also found out that not only was his ultrasound is clear, but the oncologist says his blood test likely indicates that he has about twelve years. This gives him time to make plans and do a few things. He continues to tell people that life has no guarantees. We are all terminal; the most important thing is to be ready. We may be in a furnace of sorts, but the hugs of the Lord are also melting our hearts and hopefully this heat will make us more like Him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsie! I am grateful for your news; I have been praying for you and your sweetie

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi,Thanks so much for your prayers. Bob keeps telling those concerned that no one has any guarantees. We all wake up in the morning by the grace of God. How grateful we are for His grace!

Anonymous said...

well, from my perspective...that grace has extended for me an entire decade longer than it was supposed to. I was supposed to die before I turned 35, and here I am, 9 and a half years later, and healthier than could be. So I understand some of the grace...and I understand the gratefulnesss too!

Anonymous said...

12 years is good news!