July 15, 2006

A greater reality. . .

“A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out, till he leads justice to victory” (Matthew 12:20, NKJV).

Before looking at the verse in my list on ‘spiritual warfare’ I had a little talk with the Lord. I told Him I was fighting sadness and felt overwhelmed by family needs and the people on my prayer list. His response? “Quit fighting sadness; give it to me. Do you trust me with the things that are giving you pain?” I said I did. Then I read this verse.

It is from a prophecy about Jesus in Isaiah 42 telling how He will bring comfort to those who feel ruined and useless, whose fire has been quenched. Because He is a just God, righteousness will prevail.

When I focus on the size of my problems, they get bigger and I become despondent. When I think about the power of God, the problems do not change, but He fills my heart with peace and joy. He is an amazing God who gives “peace in the eye of the storm.”

Some say this is pure escapism, a crutch. They think that being a strong person means overcoming all problems and refusing to let anything get you down, and if it does, fix it.

Sorry, I cannot fix the ruined DNA that is causing my husband’s body to produce cancer cells in his blood. At this time, medical science has no cure either. My hope cannot be in myself or anything anyone can do. Only God can change this, and if He has purpose for this illness, He will change other things, not Bob’s DNA.

I also cannot change the hearts and minds of those on my prayer list. One of them is a young man hooked on drugs and running from the law. I cannot stop his addictions or change his heart. He spent weeks in detention, weeks in Bible study even, but he is running again. Only God can change his direction and bring him to his senses.

I cling to God and the riches of His character, and cling to His promises because there is nothing or no one else. I used to think I could handle anything life threw at me, but now realize I cannot be strong or fix anything. God can. And if He has another plan, He gives me grace so I can live in obedience and faith anyway. And He gives me His amazing inner peace— a peace that makes no sense at all.

The platitudes are true. In His presence is fullness of joy, and the joy of the Lord is my strength. Others escape to the Bahamas, or to a bar, or some other fleeting distraction, but eventually must come back to reality. Some use drugs, alcohol, mind games, etc. for their ‘escape’ but they too must eventually face reality.

With God, reality is right in my face, but with my escape and my crutch I can stare it down because He offers a greater reality: “Peace I give you, not as the world gives . . . In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

No comments: