July 8, 2006

Get those zzzzzzz's

“Yet now be strong, Zerubbabel,’ says the Lord; ‘and be strong, Joshua, son of Jehozadak, the high priest; and be strong, all you people of the land,’ says the Lord, ‘and work; for I am with you,’ says the Lord of hosts.” (Haggai 2:4, NKJV)

God’s people were told to rebuild the temple. The work had stopped. Some of the builders were discouraged because they could see this later version would not be as glorious as the temple Solomon had built years before. However, God encouraged them to be strong and get to work.

The New Testament says that the temple of God is no longer a building. God lives in His people. So our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and collectively the church (not a building but all believers) is His dwelling place. We are to “build the temple” in the sense that we work to make our lives match the glory of the Lord who lives in us.

Sometimes this is discouraging work. I look sideways and compare—then feel inadequate to others who are far more godly. I think of the majesty of Jesus and realize how far I am from that goal. Life happens and the busyness of dealing with daily stuff sidetracks me. The older I get the more tempted I am to say ‘good enough’ and just stop working.

God won’t let me. He says reflecting His image is His purpose for me, and being like Jesus is my destiny. “When we see Him we will be like Him . . . “ and other promises urge me on. God also says He can use everything that happens to me to make me more like His Son. That promise (Romans 8:28-29) was impressed upon me as a new believer over thirty-five years ago. He urges me not to forget it now; to use the challenges, the daily stuff, even the aging process as opportunities, not excuses.

My father used to say that eight hours of sleep could solve every problem. Another twist to that is how failure to get enough sleep makes all problems seem bigger. The challenges of cooperating with God to become like His Son become gigantic—when I’m tired.

One day this week the book I was reading just had to be finished. I turned off my light much beyond my bedtime, but had to be up early the next day. Can a tired person be strong? Maybe, with God’s help, but everything seemed too much for me that day. While I often confess fear and stubbornness as sins, I realize that staying up too late also could fall into that category.

Being strong and getting to work on this ‘temple’ depends on God’s power. My part is faith, a clear focus, determination, and avoiding fatigue!

2 comments:

Cornerstone said...

I understand what you are going through! Please join me at my blog Leukemia Spouses.. I am hoping we can all network.

In His love!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Lisa, I responded at your blog. I will put you on my prayer list too.
((hugs))