July 9, 2006

Fire around, glory within!

“Run, tell that young man, ‘Jerusalem will be a city without walls because of the great number of men and livestock in it. And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will be its glory within.’” (Zechariah 2:4,5, NKJV)

These prophecies are sometimes difficult to understand, but one thing is clear about this one: God is able to protect His people and be their inner glory. In this verse, fire is the metaphor, an image He used before. Way back after the Exodus, the Israelites experienced God’s leading and protection as a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night.

Here God promises His people that their city will grow beyond its walls. Since this has not happened yet, it likely refers to the future when Jesus returns to reign and God Himself protects their city. Jesus also will personally bless them with His presence.

However, this promise is spiritually true for God’s people right now. He is a wall of fire around me in that He promises ‘no temptation’ without a ‘way of escape’ and to use ‘all things together for my good.’ He protects me from anything that has no good purpose in my life. Nothing that happens to me is random. All is controlled by my God.

Also, He is my glory within. I went online yesterday to do a self-test. It was multiple choice asking the most and least likely response to various scenarios and the results would tell me what choices I should make regarding writing style and genre. Besides getting all the way to the end before it said I had to send money to get the results, I had to opt out because it did not have any options like, “trust God” or “rely on inner strength from God.”

After many years of trusting me, trying my own ideas, thinking I had all the answers, the reality is slowly dawning that compared to the Lord, all I can come up with is pathetic. His solutions are far better than mine.

He knows far more about relationships and how to respond and interact with others. He also guides me my creative efforts, in the work I have to do, and of course all areas of ministry.
If I do well in any area, it is because of He lives in me. I know without a doubt that He is my glory. Without Him, my life is nothing.

We were at a funeral yesterday. The man who died was a gentle and wise Christian. His wife’s solid faith is also remarkable. His children did one section of the eulogy and even their tears revealed the glory of God in this family. Without Him, any death would be tragic. His presence makes not only life but even death a profound reminder of His grace.

A wall of fire around us and His presence within us. His promise to never leave or forsake us. His assurance that nothing can separate us from His love. Again I must say, God is my fortress and my Deliverer, the fire around me and the glory within me. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

Cornerstone said...

Thanks for your post on Leukemia Spouses! My email is lisavanburen@yahoo.com. Would love to chat!