July 23, 2006

Back into the eye

I had a dream last night that, when I woke up, gave me a knot in my stomach. It was about being lied to about something important—as if my thoughts and feelings were of no consequence. “It was only a dream” rational thinking didn’t untie the knot. I asked God to speak to it.

The next verses in this set on spiritual warfare were not about the trials and fears of this life, but about the end of the world and who eventually wins. They describe how Jesus returns and takes His people into eternal life.

“For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death” (1 Corinthians 15:22-26, NKJV).

Is that any help to calm down the after-effects of a nightmare, one that seemed to bring out a real fear that I need help to overcome? Maybe. A few days ago I read, “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world” (John 16:33, NKJV).

Again, Jesus reminds me that in this life trouble will come and people will let me down. Some of my fears may be realized. His promise is not paradise on earth, but that in Him I may have peace.

The world’s version is peaceful surroundings, people who are ‘nice’ all the time, no conflicts. Jesus’ version is peace on the inside, a peace so powerful that I’m not flustered by anything. But this is His peace. That is, I cannot ‘make it happen.’ So how do I get it?

Two things do come to mind. One is from Isaiah: “You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.” Focus on the Lord and His power, not my fears, or the evil that people might do.

The other is from the New Testament: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Get back to the eye of the storm. Tell Him what bothers me, and be thankful. Remember that Jesus wins. Whatever whirls around me, no matter what happens, or what people do, or how life slams me around, I can trust Him. And the trade-off is His perfect peace, sufficient for real storms, and certainly sufficient for a bad dream.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I try to make a practice of reminding myself, when people who love me hurt me (unintentionally, for the most part) - "People will always let you down. God never will."

Susan

Elsie Montgomery said...

So true. It is more difficult when the hurt is intentional, but even then, God is sovereign and has reasons for letting these things through His hedge of protection around us. Tests, tests, tests. Learning to respond in Christ is always a challenge!