June 15, 2006

Show me a sign...

“Show me a sign for good, that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed, because You, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.” (Psalm 86:17, NKJV)

I’ve prayed this prayer. Once. Someone was working against me without reason. I had done nothing to that person, but that person was doing great harm to me.

The Lord heard me. What was plotted against me became the very thing that happened to the one who was plotting. I didn’t gloat. It was awful. But I found out something about God.

He cares about justice. He acts against my enemies when I call out to Him and refuse to do anything myself, like retaliation. He knows how to turn events around. He also knows the best way to deal with someone who has evil intentions, how to make them ashamed. He also knows how to do all this without making me feel like crowing about it. In fact, I felt sad that something so bad happened to that person, even though God determined it. He knew the right solution, one I would not have thought of, nor could have pulled off.

He also affirms that asking for a sign is sometimes okay. Most of the time He wants me to “walk by faith” not by sight. I am to trust Him, believe in His Word, not ask for indications that He is still with me, or is taking care of me. But sometimes, when my heart is overwhelmed and I am not sure of His will, I can ask for something from Him that shows me where I stand, or, in this case, that shows my enemies where they stand.

God continually amazes me with His ingenuity. His solutions to problems are always a surprise. Even if I am in the wrong and cry out for help, He knows how to correct me yet at the same time give me a hug. But when someone is harming me, He knows how to protect me and at the same time deal with their mean and unjust plans.

As the psalmist says, surely the Lord has helped and comforted me!

No comments: