June 1, 2006

His eyes

“Keep me as the apple of Your eye; hide me under the shadow of Your wings.” (Psalm 17:8, NKJV)

Last night when I went to remove my mascara, I grabbed the wrong bottle. Instead of eye makeup remover, I poured skin toner on a cotton pad and stroked it across my eye. Good thing my eyes were tightly closed. I knew instantly that I should have checked the bottle first. Thankfully the right bottle was handy. A quick pour and swipe and the stinging stopped. My eye is okay.

Just as I urgently protected my eye, God protects His people. We are as important to Him as our eyes are to us.

I suppose, in a sense, we even are His eyes.

God is spirit. A spirit does not have ‘eyes’ even though God ‘sees’ and knows all things. Since the Spirit of God lives in me, is it possible that some of what He ‘sees’ is seen through my eyes? This is a new thought.

Sometimes new believers claim that “skies are bluer” or “sunsets brighter” or “everything looks better.” Is that because the Spirit who lives in them is sharing their experience of sight?

I might be way out on this, but it does give me something to think about today. As I work in my garden, perhaps arrange a few blocks into a quilt, go for groceries, interact with others, I will think about looking at things through the eyes of the Lord. How does He see them? How does He want me to see them? What will I notice that I otherwise would have missed?

Also, I will be thankful that nothing can touch me unless God allows it, and that He never puts anything on me without first reading the label!

No comments: