May 19, 2006

Take your pick

“The Lord gave them rest all around, according to all that He had sworn to their fathers . . . the Lord delivered all their enemies into their hand. Not a word failed of any good thing which the Lord had spoken . . . . All came to pass.” (Joshua 21:44-45, NKJV)

These words are about the nation Israel yet the rest of Scripture is plain; God gives rest to all who trust in Him, delivers us from evil, and keeps His promises. Instead of saying, “Yes, but . . .” I need to learn how to simply say, “Amen!”

But “When?” or “How long?” often pop into my head. I’m impatient. God says He will do something, but it is not happening. What is keeping Him? Why the delay?

A verse from James comes to mind: “My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect (mature) and complete, lacking nothing.”

God’s delays are a test of faith. Will I give up trusting and turn to some other way, or take matters into my own hands, or simply yield to despair? He says hang in there. He will do it. As I wait, He is helping me grow up, become complete, develop the ability to be unflappable, and as if that is not enough, He tells me to be joyful as He does it.

I’ve already learned that I can choose patience. If someone cuts me off in traffic, or the line is long at the check-out, I don’t have to be rattled. Because God gives me the Holy Spirit, His patience is available. I have a choice.

But joy is a fruit of the Spirit too. Whenever life hands me sorrowful trials with no end in sight, I can choose patience with the trial and with God. Can I also choose joy? It seems so.

That joy is sometimes mine without any effort on my part. I’ve even felt a twinge of guilt about it. Why should I be joyful when such and such is happening? “Count it all joy” makes sense though. Being sad does not change things or feel all that good. Why not be joyful?

My prayers are not answered yet. The spiritual battles still rage. But God has promised victory which will, I’m sure, bring great joy. For the joy set before Him, Jesus endured the cross . . . surely the promises of God are worthy of choosing both patient endurance — and joy.

No comments: