May 6, 2006

Holiness - the prerequisite to winning

“And Jacob said to his household and to all who were with him, ‘Put away the foreign gods that are among you, purify yourselves, and change your garments. Then let us arise and go . . . .’ And they journeyed, and the terror of God was upon the cities that were all around them, and they did no pursue the sons of Jacob.” (Genesis 35:2-5 NKJV)

No army can go into battle and win unless the soldiers are well prepared. While our tactics involve prayer not guns, spiritual warfare is the same. Anyone fighting the enemy must make sure they are ready to fight.

God says if I intend to win the spiritual battle that I’m in, then my life must be spiritual. That is, no worship or dependence upon anything or anyone other than the true God. No foreign gods. I must also confess known sin and change. Purify myself. No sinful behavior. Live in purity and goodness. Change my garments. The Bible makes clear that His requirement for spiritual war is holiness.

Jacob and his retinue removed all traces of spiritual idolatry, washed and changed their clothes to signify cleansed hearts and their consecration to God. When they did, even the sight of them put terror into the hearts of their enemies. Holiness is a powerful thing.

What is there to say to this? God challenges me and encourages me. Winning the battle against the enemy of my soul, against the one who is sucking the life out of those I pray for, is possible, but it makes demands of me. I cannot enter this battle lightly nor think that winning it will be a walk in the park.

At the same time, because holiness is such a threat, no wonder my spiritual enemy is trying to trip me up wherever I walk. Oh God, as I go in prayer into the places that the powers of darkness are trying to claim, may Your light expose the dangers to me and totally banish evil. May Your hand overcome the enemy and keep me from falling as I pray for victory.

No comments: