April 25, 2006

Thank God for good examples

“However, for this reason I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show all longsuffering, as a pattern to those who are going to believe on Him for everlasting life.” (1 Timothy 1:16 NKJV)

This verse speaks to me in so many ways. First, Paul never considered God was merciful toward him for his own personal benefit. Rather, Jesus used his life to show others His unlimited patience. This longsuffering was seen not only in Jesus’ patience with Paul, but the patience He gave Paul in his interaction with others.

Imagine the weight of recognizing God wanting to use you to be a model for millions, even billions of people! Paul was persecuting Christians when God confronted him and changed his life. He used this man as an example to show the rest of us that anyone can be saved and brought to faith in Christ. He also made him an example of how the rest of us should live toward others who test our patience.

Second, even though Paul’s life exemplifies total commitment to the will of God, this verse picks out only that one virtue — patient longsuffering; it must be very important. I need to know that God does not reject those who are determined to go against His will. This is an encouragement as I pray for people and tell them about Jesus. I also need to know that God will be patient with me, and can touch my life and transform it. I need to know that His great patience is available so I can be longsuffering toward others.

Why that virtue? It could have been love, or faithfulness, any of His attributes. Paul seemed to have all of them, but longsuffering is the one He picked for special demonstration. Is it because this is the virtue that we need to see the most?

As a child of God who seems to mess up more than I obey, how would I react if I thought God was impatient with me? Could I keep on serving a God who was unwilling to wait quietly while I try again, would not listen to my umpteen apologizes, became disgusted as I stumble and fall, would not give me a hand to pick myself up, and had no hope that I would learn from my mistakes? I don’t think so.

He knows the frustrations of life (He lived here) and my need to be patient with others. I could excuse myself with, “Oh, I don’t have the patience for that” if I never read about Paul who endured ill treatment, persecution, beatings, unbelief, ridicule, and far more rejection than I will ever experience. And he did not merely put up with it; he endured with assurance and deep faith. He was always hopeful that God would help him through his trials, and work in the lives of those who went against him.

I don’t know how God can use me as an example for others. I feel so unworthy to think that as a possibility. Yet I know others watch me. Perhaps the greatest thing I can do is just keep my eyes on Jesus, follow Him the best I can, and let God do whatever He wants with the results.

In the meantime, like Paul, I need to be grateful for God’s mercy and longsuffering, whether directed to me, or through me. Without such patience, I could not keep going.

No comments: