April 19, 2006

Not from the head but the heart . . .

"God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in Spirit and truth" (John 4:24).

Yesterday brought upsetting family news. We cannot change things. Helplessness is not much fun. I tried to worship God. My head told me that was a good way to remember that He is able when I am not. I went through the motions. It didn’t work.

This morning, Charnock reminds me again that worship comes from the spirit, not intellectual effort. While he didn’t use Watchman Nee’s terminology, he said the same thing: our will, intellect and emotions are rational (from the soul) and available to anyone. True worship is unique. It flows from a spirit made alive, and even though worship engages our soul and body, the things of the spirit must initiate it.

That means worship involves that intuitive knowing called faith, an active conscience that takes personal responsibility for sin and repentance, and that deep and real connection with God. He adds that the fruit of the Spirit is also part of worship: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

I needed to hear this today. In life’s stress, I turn to God but am bound in my spirit. I fret instead of trust, push aside sinful doubts and fears instead of face them, and then am perplexed that my prayers, even my praises, seem to bounce off the ceiling.

Prayer and praise that flow out of an intellectual decision is not spiritual worship. It may be genuine as far as it goes, but true worship comes from the Spirit, from an overflow of being filled with the Spirit. It includes faith — how can I worship God if I am not trusting Him? If I do not believe that He is good? If I doubt that He wants the best for His people?

Charnock reminds me that in the Old Testament, worship is focused on the fear of God, but even that fear is linked to hope in His mercy. In the New Testament, hope is part of our faith. It is a know-so hope that is certain what God says is true. He will keep His promises.

Doubt and anxiety slash at my spirit and makes my efforts to worship a sham. Even though I trust God for eternal life, my doubts regarding daily matters weaken that inner vitality, that spiritual life that God gave me. Where is my hope?

As I go to prayer, I confess all that hinders me from being filled with His Spirit. I need His anointing to worship Him,
to have confidence in His goodness, to trust Him with everything.

No comments: