April 29, 2006

My Dad always said, "Keep your nose clean."

“He must also have a good reputation with outsiders, so that he will not fall into disgrace and into the devil's trap.” (1 Timothy 3:7 NIV)

Yesterday was frustrating. I wound up in one store three times, partly because of the incompetence of their staff, and in another twice, for the same reason. While their indifference and, in one case, an outright lie, annoyed me, I was more annoyed at my own impatience. The day started with joy and I let circumstances ruin it.

This verse says a leader (elder) in the church must be a pillar in the community. While people might not agree with his Christian beliefs, they will respect him for the way he lives. This part of the Bible does not go into specifics, however other passages talk about being honest, faithful, reliable, a person of integrity. I'm not an elder or church leader, but God stopped me at this verse for a reason.

I find it interesting how people respond to godly men. We knew a pastor who left the ministry and became involved in sales. He discovered, much to his dismay, that people talk differently to a salesman than they do a pastor. His former title evoked a certain amount of respect and a restraint on their tongues, but some sales people often have a different reputation and it took him a little while to live down that image.

On the other hand, many Christians who have no "religious" job or title find that even without telling co-workers about their beliefs, after a time of working together, they somehow pick it up. They might begin apologizing for bad language, remarking that "You must be a church-going person" and sometimes even asking for spiritual advice. Godliness is visible.

Paul's letter to Timothy, a young pastor, warned about the alternatives to maintaining a good reputation with those who do not go to church. He could fall into disgrace in their eyes, which is serious enough. How can the Lord work in the lives of those who have cause to disrespect Christian leaders? Remember the straying televangelists? People still use them as an excuse to avoid God.

The other issue is falling into the devil's snare. What is that about? My first thought is sin, but sin is more about what I do if he traps me. Rather, his snare involves lies, deception of some sort. He is good at making me think falsely about God, or about myself and how much I need God's help. He will lull me into complacency with "everything is okay" when it is not and God wants my action - or he will prod me into action when God is telling me to wait.

In another place, the Bible says our real enemy is not flesh and blood, but spiritual powers and the rulers of darkness. I'm not a church leader, but still need to be alert and filled with the Holy Spirit, focused on the truth and ready for battle against deception.

The world might look on Christians as a “well-meaning but misguided souls” but this verse says we are not to let that happen. Instead, I'm supposed to have a reputation for integrity and a consistent godly life before an unbelieving world. Yesterday was an opportunity to do that. I missed it.

No comments: