April 22, 2006

Faith just "knows"

“Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see” (Hebrews 11:1).

Explaining spiritual motivations and decisions to someone else can be difficult. A few years ago we were planning a move. We found out about a house in the new location that seemed a perfect fit for our needs. I prayed about it and had the assurance of the Holy Spirit that we would live in this house. At that point, some of my friends thought my “assurance” was “presumption” — simply because I really wanted this house.

A few days later the landlord called to tell us the house had already been rented. We could not have it. Those who do not understand the assurances of God were sympathetic, but in my heart, I still believed this was the house we would move into. Two weeks later, the landlord called again. The first deal fell through and the house was ours. Faith made me sure of what I hoped for, certain of what I could not see.

Right now we have a friend who is being led by the Lord on a life-changing course. Her actions seem risky, to some. If she follows God, she will move from her home, friends, all things that she knows, to another country and life. Some of her friends think she has lost her mind. Why would anyone do that? It makes no sense to them.

To those of us who know God, it makes sense. This woman has faith in God. She is sure of what she hopes for, not because it is her plan but a plan that God has put in her heart. She is certain of what she cannot see and knows it will come to pass. Even now, she (and we) can see God’s hand in helping her with this. He provides wisdom, assurance in minor setbacks, and takes care of small details that she had not considered.

This is the adventure of faith. It is like flying away on a vacation. You know what your destination looks like (as well as a travel brochure can describe it), and you know that you are going to arrive. Yet there is that tinge of danger (“What if I don’t?”) and the excitement of the planning and the flight.

Faith is definitely the ticket for big plans and difficult projects, but God also wants me to trust Him in everyday life. The funny part of that is when I do, I realize it is not the plans or the destination that make life an adventure — all of it is a ‘trip’ because of faith in God.

No comments: