March 29, 2006

Unflappable

“But in all things we commend ourselves as ministers of God: in much patience (endurance), in tribulations, in needs, in distresses . . . .” (2 Corinthians 6:4 NKJV).

This is the first morning in weeks that I’ve not approached God with my hand out. No special problems to solve, no pressing burdens, nothing heavy on my mind. Maybe I’m not awake yet? Or the day is too young?

I’m such a pessimist. But the Apostle Paul was not. The rest of this section in 2 Corinthians offers a list of things he endured: beatings, imprisonments, hard work, sleeplessness. Yet in all of them he kept his life pure and his mind level. He was always learning, always kind, always loving others. He remained, sincere, righteous, and focused on his ministry. Although in constant danger, with lots to be sad about, and very little in regard to material possessions, Paul called himself one who “possessed all things,” “made many rich” and was “always rejoicing.”

I’m currently leading a Bible study in James. My conclusion from this book is that Christian maturity means being unflappable. Paul was an example of that kind of maturity. He was consistent, never riled. Like the pink battery bunny, he just kept on going, no matter what happened to him.

In Daily Thoughts for Disciples, author Oswald Chambers says, “One of the greatest proofs that you are drawing on the grace of God is that you can be humiliated with out manifesting the slightest trace of anything but His grace in you.” Unflappable.

God provided the grace to be fairly consistent through the multiple stresses of the past two weeks, but I’ve become so used to problems every day. I’m not sure what to do now that things have settled down. Prayers have been answered, and I’ve no deadlines or other pressures. Right now, I’ve that sense of ‘possessing all things’ — and must conclude this is a good day to be ‘always rejoicing’ — and who knows, He may give me opportunity to ‘make others rich.’

2 comments:

Marcia Lee Laycock said...

Good one, Elsie. If you want something to pray about this weekend, we're hosting the AGC West regional conference at our church - and I'm coordinating two sessions for pastor's wives.
Guess it will be a test of how 'unflappable' I am! :)
Marci

Elsie Montgomery said...

May God give you grace and courage, and a deep sense of His presence and blessing --- I have and will pray!

hugs, elsie