March 22, 2006

Trying to get past what I can see

“Therefore we do not lose heart . . . . For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal” (2 Corinthians 4:16-18).

God, my light affliction this morning seems heavy indeed. I know your promises here and in verses like Romans 8:28, that You are working all things together for my good, to make me more like Jesus, but I’m not as concerned about the outcome for me as I am for the ones I love who are in trouble and bearing their afflictions without Your help.

Yet even as I write that, I know that when I intercede, You do hear and answer my prayers. You may put them on hold until You do what You want in my life through their struggles, but You may also be using their struggles to bring them to their knees before You. This is so difficult to watch, to feel helpless and not be able to change things, to wait for Your hand in it.

The long and short of it is, I must trust You, even when I cannot see what You are doing, even when the weight of it is exceeding. Paul calls his afflictions ‘light’ compared to the glory that was coming. I cannot say that today about the issues that are on my heart. The problems seem so heavy. Will they turn out to be glory for these dear to me who are in serious trouble? I want that to be so, but wanting it does not give me peace of mind.

Today, even knowing that You promise me that ‘eternal weight of glory’ does not give me comfort. I’m too tied to the things that I can see. I’m trying to think about the many times You turned trials into triumphs, and it seems that the more difficult the trial, the greater the victory. Will that be true with this problem?

Again Lord, whatever it takes; I want to see You.

No comments: