March 14, 2006

Tested faith

"But we have renounced the hidden things of shame, not walking in craftiness nor handling the word of God deceitfully. . . we do not preach ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord. . . . For it is the God who commanded light to shine out of darkness, who has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (2 Corinthians 4:2-6)

In a recent discussion on the topic of earning eternal life by being a good person, it became clear to me that those who think this is possible have not only missed the point of salvation being "by grace through faith," but also have not understood the impossible standard of God's goodness. Faith is rightly measured by goodness and a changed life, but faith comes first. Salvation cannot be earned. It is a free gift, given by God through faith, which is also a gift. This saving faith changes people's lives.

In fact, the Bible offers some tests that determine whether or not someone has this saving faith. One of those tests is being joyful in difficult circumstances. (Would anyone try to earn their salvation by picking that as a good deed?) Another test is a deep love for other Christians. Most people would not pick that as a "good deed" either.

The Bible lists other characteristics, but even James (the writer who says "faith without works is dead") uses these qualitites to describe people who truly know God through faith in His Son. They never describe anyone who is trying to be good enough for heaven.

This passage from 1 Corinthians offers another test. Christians must renounce shameful behavior and craftiness, and we are never to twist the Word of God or toot our own horn. We are not to think or say, "Look at what a good person I am. My goodness surely pleases God."

We who belong to Christ know better, or we ought to. We did not turn the lights on in our own hearts. We did not discover for ourselves that the glory of God is found in the person of Jesus Christ. Until God opened our eyes, we could not see the truth. Even with Jesus living in us and supplying the power, goodness as God wants goodness often seems impossible. The reality of His saving grace and forgiveness ought to humble us and make us thankful. It should never make us boast, nor should it give us license to put down anyone else who does not measuring up to God's lofty standards.

Too often I'm guilty of boasting about myself or condemning others, or both. When I do it, the Holy Spirit convicts me of my sinful behavior. As I ask again for forgiveness, I'm thankful that God is patient, but also ashamed that He should have to put up with me, especially when I'm critical of others. Who am I to do such a thing when I know that Jesus died for their sins as well as mine?

No comments: