March 15, 2006

Suck it up

"Therefore do not fear them. . . Whatever I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; and what you hear in the ear, preach on the housetops. And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul" (Matthew 10:26-28).

I am basically a coward. I’m afraid of heights, new experiences, risks, talking to people about anything. Part of that stems from childhood. I had an illness, was not expected to live, so my parents sheltered me. I didn’t attend school until seventh grade. I was never "socialized" as a child.

The other part is a failure to trust God with everything. He promises to keep me from falling (while not literal, it could be) and to take care of me in all situations. He promises to supply all my needs, give me strength, wisdom and skill for anything He wants me to do. I know this is true and experience proves it, but up front, before I do any of it, the fear rushes in.

Last night we had a false fire alarm in the hotel. The lady across the hall was upset about that and about her checkout time. With all-day classes to attend, she didn’t know how she would manage since she came on a bus and had no place to put or pack her enormous amount of luggage. She also had chest pains and was worried she could not sleep. I told her I would pray for her.

That was not so hard to say. Why is it so much more difficult to say something like, "God controls even false alarms. He will watch over you and I during this night"? Or "Jesus knows all about your chest pains. Trust Him and He will show you what you need to do"?

Today I want to be a blessing to people. While that is a good goal, it is not as fearful as being a blessing to God. People want to hear something that encourages them; He wants me to repeat truth that He has told me. The two might not be mutually exclusive — but there is that chance that what I have to say, true as it might be, will convict them or make them angry or distressed. To this Jesus says, "Do not fear them, just tell them what I tell you."

Another adventure. Just ignore the knot in the stomach and do what He says.

No comments: