March 8, 2006

Sin Prevention

“Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know” (John 14:1-4).

Jesus had just told Peter that he would betray him. I’m trying to imagine myself hearing Him say those words. It is not that I’ve never turned my back on Jesus, but wonder if it would make a difference had He warned me before I did it that I was going to do it? It didn’t for Peter. As upset as he was about hearing the warning, in the crunch he still denied Christ.

However, Jesus did not assure Peter that after he messed up he would be forgiven. Too many of us use that excuse for our disobedience. Instead, Jesus reminds Peter that no matter what he does or does not do, he must trust the Father and the Son, and he has a heavenly reward coming.

For some, the idea of being forgiven no matter what might deter them from sin. Others might need to be reminded of their heavenly hope. For Peter, neither worked. He still denied Christ even though afterwards repented, “weeping bitterly.”

What enables me to say no to sin, yes to obedience? I think it boils down to the pure beauty of Jesus Christ. Yes, He loves me, forgives me, ensures me a place in heaven with Him, but none of that affects me as much as the simple loveliness of Him. He is patient, kind, gracious, compassionate, understanding, but He also hates sin and defends holiness, sometimes with great zeal. The majesty of His person and character awe and delight me. He is the Word made flesh, God in human skin, worthy of all power, glory and worship.

He could demand much more, yet all He asks of me is to just trust Him, hold His hand and go with Him where He takes me. Because He is so incredible, I am drawn to this God-man, and want to stay as close as I can.

No comments: