March 3, 2006

Load too heavy?

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV).

In this passage, the first word for burden is Greek for "a heavy shipment of freight." The second word, describing the burden Jesus gives, is Greek for "the invoice"!

I know that if I carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, that is not the load God intends; His load is light. However, today I noticed that only those who learn His meekness and humility can find rest from that heavy burden and share in His light load.

This implies that when I take on something that becomes a heavy load, I’ve likely signed on with pride and somewhat of a God-resisting attitude. Instead of meekly accepting His sovereignty in my life, I am fighting it, even thinking I have the wherewithal to do it. Jesus’ invitation comes to me only when I start feeling the fatigue of working hard without Him — and am ready to listen.

How do I know when that happens? A meek person accepts what life hands them, knowing God is in control and able to use all of it for their good. Am I fighting circumstances instead of trusting God?

A humble person knows they cannot earn or deserve anything from God. They accept His commands without fuss or resistance, even if they look too easy. Am I, in arrogance, taking on difficult tasks instead of accepting whatever God gives me?

The Lord might give me challenging tasks, but none of them will wear me to the bone like heavy loads taken on out of pride and resistance to Him. Humble submission means life and service becomes far lighter — simply because He is sharing that yoke with me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elsie, what fine words for today. I learned that one of my young friends has just been diagnosed with a disease that means he is middle aged, and he is only 13! And my brother may need a liver transplant. I was feeling a heavy burden indeed, and a reminder like this was exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

Elsie Montgomery said...

I am praying for your friend, and your brother, Darien, and for you. - elsie