March 2, 2006

Light that never goes Out

"Now after six days Jesus took Peter, James, and John, and led them up on a high mountain apart by themselves; and He was transfigured before them" (Mark 9:2 NKJV).

Oswald Chambers says we will be judged by what we do after those moments in which we have seen the light of God. If this is true, I am dismayed.

When I first believed in Christ, my sister told me to read the Bible each day “until God stops you” and then write down what He is saying. I’ve done that and am now transcribing some of that material into electronic files. My original reason for doing this is to make them searchable, but God had another reason. He is reminding me over and over of all the things He has taught me. Some of them are deeply incorporated into my life. Some, sadly, are a surprise and I read them again as if for the first time.

Moments of light, like the flame of a candle. Over thirty-five years, those moments add up to days, weeks, maybe even years of intimacy with God. That intimacy changes a person. The Bible says when I see Him, I become like Him — as long as don’t blow out the candle and refuse the light.

Now I’m thankful for that stack of notebooks. I may not live long enough to transcribe all that is in them, but as I read and review what is there, God relights those candles and blesses me all over again.

No comments: