March 12, 2006

Life is an adventure!

“Then Jesus said to them, ‘When you lift up the Son of Man, then you will know that I am He, and that I do nothing of Myself; but as My Father taught Me, I speak these things.” (John 8:28 NKJV)

Jesus had to die before most people recognized who He was and that the words He spoke were from the Father. What was so revealing about His death? Perhaps it was proof that He was not just another power-hungry, self-appointed Messiah. They already had some of those. More likely it was His resurrection that convinced them.

Aside from that, what catches me this morning is that Jesus spoke what the Father taught Him. I lead a ladies Bible class on Sunday mornings, and this is the most important principle I’ve learned about teaching Bible; if God taught me, share it, but if I don’t know, say so. Don’t speculate. Don’t try to impress anyone. Just tell them what He says.

The past couple of days He has impressed on me that I’m to base my decisions on what He says, not my wants or fears or excuses, the weather report, or even my better (?) judgment. Just listen to Him. This is difficult because His will goes against my grain. Not only that, the things Jesus taught sometimes blessed His hearers, but eventually enraged them to crucify Him. It’s possible others will not listen or agree.

I’ve no idea where listening to Him will eventually take me, but this morning it will be to tell others what He has taught me, and right after that, I’m headed for the mountains. If nothing else, listening to Him makes life an adventure!

(I’m taking my laptop, but if for some reason I cannot get online, this blog will have to wait until Thursday.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have a good time, faithful Elsie. I will miss reading! Crystal

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hi Crystal,

I did get my laptop online, after a faulty Internet box in my hotel room blew a fuse and plunged us into total darkness. What a hoot!!

elsie