March 20, 2006

Just ask!

“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened” (Matthew 7:8 NKJV)

In the Sermon on the Mount Jesus introduces kingdom living. He describes the radical lifestyle His followers can expect, including an expectation that they will be humble, God-fearing, God-trusting people who love their enemies, are more concerned with heavenly rewards than wealth here on earth, and who do good without a desire for personal gain. He also says they will be able to tell God their needs and He will supply them.

Of course Jesus is talking about “good” things as He says later in this passage, not selfish stuff that will harm His people. He mentions bread not stones, fish not serpents. When I pray, I’ve a responsibility to discern that some things are harmful. God promises me good things.

What amazes me is that He not only answers prayer, and loves to give His people good things, but His answers are also always a surprise. I usually believe that He will do something, provide my needs, change things, take care of problems and so on, but am never able to second-guess what He is going to do.

Nor can I guess how long it will take. Some answers come almost immediately, but not every request meets with an instant response. Sometimes events must happen or people need to be changed. Sometimes God needs to prepare me for His answer. I prayed for ten years for my husband’s salvation. Looking back now, I realize that I was not ready for the changes God would make in his life. The Lord had to work on me before I would support and respond to the “new” spouse He would give me.

My current prayers include personal priorities. I’ve a hand in many things and often feel pulled in too many directions. While I know God’s general priorities to daily love and obey Him, and to love and serve others, I need His direction with an overwhelming to-do list. Do I cut any of the major items? Do I drop some of the details? Do I relentlessly keep at it?

Whatever He tells me, Jesus assures me to keep on asking, seeking, and knocking. As long as my heart is turned toward Him with a desire to know His will, He will give me greater understanding — along with the grace to comply.

No comments: