February 16, 2006

Resisting What Honors God?

Stephen Charnock says people show contempt for God by slighting those things that give Him the most honor. When the Romans conquered people groups they built temples for their idols, but Christianity did not get that reception. Instead, that which is the purest and most precious to God was met with great opposition and persecution. When God is honored, those who do so are often mocked.

However, even the ‘converted’ struggle to give honor to that which most honors God. Some examples: We give “curious” observation to the fringes of the law and ignore the greater concerns. We fiddle around with ritual and ceremony and brush off mercy and sacrifice. As Charnock says, we will cut off the branch but not dig out the root.

Years ago I taught a class in which one of the students often praised the Lord during the sessions. Later, another class member mentioned her and her “God- talk” in a ridiculing way. While it pleases God to have His name honored, the human heart resists.

Christians talk a great deal about giving God the glory, yet even if we manage to do it, how often are the words tacked on? How often do we give lip service to God as ‘our duty’ or in an attempt to be modest about our successes? How often do we really stand in awe of God and want His glory only, with no reflection on ourselves? Or is our praise mixed with a desire for “look how she praises God” recognition?

Lately I’m noticing that I best glorify God when something ‘miraculous’ happens, when there is no other recourse but to glorify Him — because this could not have happened otherwise. That is not quite right. Do I have to be backed into a corner where there is no other explanation but “God did it” before I will give Him the honor He deserves?

The Bible says “In Him we live and move and have our being.” That means even the next breath I take depends on God. I’m thinking I’d hate to be on a respirator before I would honor Him for His power in my life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am finding, Elsie, that I learn more and more about myself and my shortcomings by reading your devotionals. Thank you for sharing them! Crystal

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thank you! It can be a painful process, but the end results are worth it because we have an awesome God who always wants the very best for us! elsie