February 15, 2006

The problem with my witness. . .

But when they (the Jews in Corinth) opposed him (Paul) and blasphemed, he shook his garments and said to them, “Your blood be upon your own heads; I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles” (Acts 18:6).

Paul did this to let them know that they were responsible for their own decision. He had done all he could to inform them that Christ had died for their sins and rose again to give them eternal life, but they refused this good news. What more could he do? Their current lost state was no longer his responsibility.

This is sobering. Who does God call me to share the good news with, but I have not? Is the eternal damnation of anyone on my head because I’ve not given them the good news? An even more difficult question is how do I know when I’ve said all I could say? Does my prayer for the salvation of others include an obligation on my part to say something more to them? Or do I wait for a clear opening and indication from the Holy Spirit before I say anything?

And what about the guilt that I feel about others who do not yet believe? Is that real guilt or false? If false, is it Satan trying to push me to push them and further turn them off? If true, then does it indicate that I should be doing something about it, or just confess my huge sense of inadequacy in this department?

Even as I read this God shows me that so much of what I think regarding evangelism is very me-centered. No wonder I waffle so much over it. This is not about me. And that gives me the first thing to deal with.

No comments: