February 8, 2006

Praying is Hard Work

I thank God, whom I serve with a pure conscience, as my forefathers did, as without ceasing I remember you in my prayers night and day . . . (2 Timothy 1:3).

No one can pray without ceasing unless their heart is pure, their conscience clear of any conviction. This is why spiritual warfare is so difficult. Keeping myself unspotted is one thing, but should that be the case, the enemy is right there with false accusations and other harassments to keep me from bringing pure prayer before the Lord. Most of the time I feel my prayers are so hopelessly inadequate anyway, so that adds to the pressure to cut them short or just not bother.

Paul says he thanks God that he remembers to pray night and day. As I battle with the world, the flesh and the devil to stay in “praying mode” I can identify with his gratitude. Unless the Lord helps me, this work is far too difficult. I would never pray.

No comments: