February 23, 2006

Letting God be God

Loving and serving God is easy when things go well. I can readily glorify Him when He does what pleases me, what answer my prayers. But what happens when He does not respond to the desires of my heart? Do I still find delight in serving and glorifying Him?

The perversion of sinful self shows up when I’m reluctant to honor God if there is nothing in it for me. Like Jonah, I shrink from duty that goes against my grain, that honors God alone.

This self-centeredness shows up in other ways, like calling on God only when I need Him, then putting thoughts of Him aside in prosperity. I remember Him in trials, forget Him when I am smiling. I am too often like a hitchhiker who wants a lift, using Him as if He is my servant.

Do I ask for anything from Him if I can do it myself? Do I make my plans, then tack on a prayer at the end asking His blessing on my projects? Do I become impatient if things do not turn out as I had prayed? If years of prayer for the souls of lost family and friends seem to go unheard, do I believe God knows best how to bring glory to Himself in their lives?

If I really want His will and His glory, can I leave it with Him to decide how and when He should do anything, never mind how and when I should do something? Who am I to think He must do what I dictate?

I am learning that these are tests to find out whose glory I’m really seeking. A passing mark is a response of obedience, humility and patience — no matter what God is doing.

No comments: