February 24, 2006

The great divider

Last night I was annoyed with my husband for some silly reason (I know it was silly because I can’t even remember what it was). The result? I didn’t want to be in the same room with him. Before “the sun went down” I got over it and everything was okay, but this morning’s spiritual reading spoke to what happened.

When we sin against God, or anyone else, there is a desire for distance. With God, we become afraid and ashamed to be near Him. The selfish sinfulness in me cannot endure the splendor of God. My guilt cannot stay in the presence of His glory. Sin separates me from God.

To a lesser degree, this principle is also true when we sin against others. I was selfishly angry and didn’t want to be near my husband. I tried to isolate myself because my sinfulness could not endure his presence. It was made worse by the fact that he didn’t deliberately do anything to me — was relatively innocent and certainly oblivious to my attitude. But even if he had done something that caused me to blame my sin on him (how irresponsible, but the flesh thinks like that), I would still not want to be around him. Sin separates me from other people too.

As ususal, the grace of God intervened to change my attitude. This morning as I read this, my heart fills with thanksgiving that Jesus died for sin and provids access to the throne of God. That veil of separation that forbid access to the most holy place is torn in two. The way to God is open. Anyone can come boldly to the throne of grace for forgiveness and grace, for eternal life. Anyone can have peace with God through the Lord Jesus Christ. And anyone can live at peace with those around them, even me. Amen!

No comments: