February 14, 2006

Giving from my Heart

At first read, some things Jesus says don’t seem to make sense. Luke 11:41 is one: “But rather give alms of such things as you have; then indeed all things are clean to you” (NKJV).

So what does giving have to do with all things being clean? In context, Jesus is talking about their rituals that were supposed to protect them from being defiled. He says they are washing only the outside of the cups but leave the inside full of greed and wickedness. But how does that connect with alms giving?

The NIV helps: “But give what is inside the dishOne of my study Bibles explains that literally this says, “Give that which is within as your alms.”

Jesus wanted the Pharisees to understand that true giving, like every other facet of their lives, was a matter of the heart. Giving was not about the size of their gift or even the fact that they gave. If their gift came from a sinful heart, it was not acceptable. If they were giving just to impress someone, earn points with God, or gain a tax deduction, their hearts were not right. He wanted their hearts clean, their motives pure.

The last part of the verse is the punch line. If their hearts were clean, then everything was clean. Whatever they gave was acceptable because God doesn’t count giving by dollars.

This calls for a heart-exam. I will give when I hear a clear call to do so, but cannot say I am lavish about giving away anything. Measuring my giving by my generosity (rather than by dollar signs) is closer to the right way to measure it; however, this puzzling verse shows me that my heart needs a fresh touch from the Lord.

No comments: