February 6, 2006

Distractions when Praying

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things (Philippians 4:8).

Meditation is tough, and concentration seems more difficult the older I get. For the past few months I thought it was my aging brain, but the other night we were playing cranium and I aced every category. God thoroughly convinced me that there is nothing wrong with the speed of my brain or my memory. How liberating!

So I’m rethinking my difficulties with prayer. Could it be that as I grow older I am learning more about how to pray, and I am praying with a greater understanding of God and His will? While I often have no clue how to pray for some things, the Lord has taught me about prayer, and does that make me a threat? I can picture the enemy of our souls watching me get ready to pray. He knows my greatest strengths and weaknesses. He knows just how to draw me away from this most important activity.

My spiritual gift is teaching, which requires the ability to be interested in many things. The downside of that is being easily distracted. I know only too well that I must pray with my eyes closed, and if not closed, focused on a list!

I find meditation on the truth, on lofty and just things, pure and lovely, or simply good news is difficult. My mind wanders too easily. I know only too well that I must pray out loud.

My hands and body does not do well being idle. I fidget, wanting to ‘do something’ — so have learned that the best way for me to pray is while I am walking, preferably briskly. That way I am free to focus on the prayer list in my hand.

Now I imagine this granny marching down the street with a piece of paper in hand, lips moving and sometimes muttering, moaning and sometimes rejoicing out loud. The neighbors are lenient, but someday they might call the cops! I’ve also learned that while going outdoors for a prayer walk is simply the best way for me to pray, sometimes it might be better to use my stationary bike or treadmill!

No comments: