January 26, 2006

Spiritual battles

Every now and then God shows me through a dream that I've got a sinful attitude that needs some attention. In my sleep I can excuse 'stinkin' thinkin' and a lack of power over it, but when I wake up and the thoughts continue without a fight from me, then something needs to be done about it.
A preacher once said these things are an indication of deep-seated thoughts and values in the subconscious mind. They sneak up on us while we are weak, tempted or even asleep. The cure is to bring them out in the open and subject them to the scrutiny of the Holy Spirit, allowing Him to change them. Then put them back. In other words, fight back by saturating my mind with the Word “which is able to save my soul” using verses and passages that pertain to the problem area. Of course the sinfulness needs to be confessed and forsaken, but if it keeps coming back, the root needs to be exposed.
This morning I realize this is a spiritual war, and I need to remember what the enemy does in such a battle, and the role of God in this battle. The enemy slings flaming arrows —— lies about God, His law, my salvation and my standing before God. On the other hand, Jesus is always interceding for me, offering His life and power, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God, and other armor with which to defend myself.
I cannot fight a persistent sin using the enemy’’s weapons. This seems so plain and logical, but how many times have I been spiritually attacked and agreed with the lies that I was hearing? God can’’t help me. God doesn’t care. I’’ve gone too far this time. I am powerless against all this. I don't have a choice. Blah, blah.
All of that gives the enemy his weapons. How foolish. What about giving God His weapon? It is the sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God. What do I need to study? What do I need to memorize? What can I fling back when the flaming arrows threaten? How can I have my mind so saturated with truth that it automatically goes into ‘fight mode’ when I hear some of the garbage that tends to bring me down?
Romans 12:1-2 tell us to not think like the world thinks, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds. The only way I know how that can happen is to let the Holy Spirit change me as I read, study, think about and obey the Word of God. Those subconscious thoughts must be exposed, then saturated with and controlled by what God says. While God promises to forgive and cleanse my sin as I confess it, getting those deeply rooted sinful attitudes pulled out into the light will not happen apart from my willingness and cooperation.

1 comment:

Storyteller said...

Hi Elsie,
I finally get a chance to check out your blog. I'm impressed.
This is a thought provoking, so many times I hear those "night whisperings" and come morning, they fade only to rise up again when something jags my mind. Hopefully someday, we will all have that "heart after God's heart" we seek.
blessings, e