January 31, 2006

Don't like the preaching?

Occasionally someone complains they do not like the preaching in their church. They either want "biblical teaching" or “deeper sermons." I'm mostly concerned with preaching being biblical. That is a legitimate concern. I'm less concerned that it is not as deep as some would like.

The Bible describes preaching as either false or true, milk or meat. There is no category called “deep” although Paul's teaching is described as having "some things that are hard to understand."

As for the other descriptions, we are told to desire the Word like a baby desires milk. Other passages suggest that if we are not getting meat, it is either because we are not saved and not ready for it (Hebrews 5) or carnal and not ready for it (1 Corinthians 3).

Either way, I would caution the unsatisfied to be careful they do not reject the basics simply because they are hungry for more than the "milk" usually fed to new Christians. These are the foundations of our faith and uphold everything else. We need them deeply impressed on our hearts, and we need to obey them.

Any complaints about basic preaching could indicate disrespect — either for the simple content of the sermons, or for the preacher who delivers them. This too is dangerous ground. The people of God wandering in the wilderness came under judgment when they complained about manna and wanted more meat. On that, I need to be remember that Paul
said heartier meals are for those who obey the lighter fare. How can I learn more if I'm not digesting and using in my life that which I've already learned?

As for not liking the preacher, I need to watch my attitude there too. David refused to speak or act against ‘the Lord’s anointed’ even though Saul was not acting like he should. David’s respect for the leader of Israel says far more about David than it did about Saul.

In the same vein, I must respect my spiritual leaders. They may not be perfect, but when they are teaching truth and are doing their best to live for the Lord, any criticism of them says far more about the critic than it does about the leader. It is difficult for even we who are teachers to remember that being teachable is far more important than the content in a Bible study class or the delivery of a message. If I want to learn, God can use anyone to teach me.

2 comments:

Violet N. said...

Elsie, this is not an uncommon complaint. You give good advice!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Ever feel like Jeremiah...? The Lord tells you to speak --- and even though you know that your words were what He wanted, those words were not well received? Sigh, this obedience thing is sometimes really tough!