January 16, 2006

Becoming Unflappable

James wrote that we ought to consider it a joyful thing to be tested because a test develops our ability to endure, and when we can persevere under tests, we become mature. In teaching this section to a ladies Bible study group, we came up with a modern term to describe that goal: God wants us to be "unflappable."

When I think of the things that have tested me, and the many times that my response was anything but "unflappable," the grace and patience of God amaze me. Yet He is right; the more He tests me, the more unflappable I become. It doesn't happen because I decide to "grin and bear it." When a test comes, little or enormous, God eventually shows me that He is in control, He will take care of me, and He Himself is unflappable. I cannot imagine God getting as bent out of shape as I do when life takes an unexpected loop. Looking at Him with that in mind changes the way I think, and consequently the way I act.

Another thing that helps is taking a long hard look at what He says about whatever makes me flap. It might be anger, or fear, or rejection. Every time I see myself in His Book, I must confess my sinful thoughts and actions, relying on Him to forgive them and cleanse me. But He also says to be 'renewed' in the way I think, so I need a second long hard look at the goal. (Unflappable isn't in there, but I look for confident, accepted, or whatever biblical word fits the test I just flunked). Read, study, meditate and God takes my stinking thinking and replaces it with His thoughts about the matter, making me ready for the next test!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well this will make up for never being able to be in your Sunday School class, Elsie!

Sue Plett

Marcia Lee Laycock said...

Welcome to the blogosphere, Elsie :)
I've been decidedly inconsistent with mine, but hope to do better in this new year.
Will click in here often.
:)Marcia

Elsie Montgomery said...

Thanks Sue, Marcia and Anna for your encouragement. I had to check out other blogs to find out the etiquette -- it is okay to comment on the comments. Not only am I such a duh, but this is a scarey thing to be doing!

elsie